Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Don't Tap on the Glass!!! Part 2

Don’t Tap on the Glass!!!



This is one of my new favorite short story forums I’ve created thus far. It’s frustrating when someone taps on the glass and ask stupid and obvious questions but that frustration usually turns into a wonderful funny story…so I guess I can’t complain too much, right?



#1- The Shocked and Disbelieving…and Heart Broken?

It was a cold winter night (not sure where winter went but we did have a few winter days!), coming to the closing of my long 8 hour shift. The Love Lips jingle alerted me to someone coming into the store. A heavier set woman entered and smiled shyly at me from behind her scarf. “It’s cold out there”

“Yeah it is definitely getting colder” What else are you supposed to say?

She looked at me with a confused expression. I was slightly worried I had something on my face and then a look of something suddenly hitting her bloomed on her face. “Did you guys get robbed?” She stopped moving towards the toy section and stopped right in front of me, expectant and slightly scared.

“Yeah…We were robbed twice in a week before Thanksgiving” Why lie? She didn’t look like she’d take my usual ‘yup’ response.

“Oh my God” She said in a choked voice. I wasn’t looking at her but hearing the soft sob in her voice I looked up quickly and saw she literally had tears in her eyes. “Was everyone alright??” She asked, her voice still full of emotion.

Flabbergasted at the real tears in her eyes I said quickly to assure her, “Yes, everyone who was working was OK, no one was hurt”

“Oh thank goodness” She said breathlessly and she blinked quickly to stop the tears and then moved into the store to continue her shopping.

All I could think was…Don’t cry for us Argentina?



#2- The Demented and…No, Scratch that…Just Plain Dumb-

It was mid-afternoon and I was really getting into the book I was reading when the Love Lips jingle sounded. I begrudgingly set my book aside only to see that 3 young adults came bumbling inside giggling and snorting like they could barely handle being in a store that was sex oriented. Mildly annoyed I said, “Can I see your ID’s guys?”

“Man…I don’t have my ID” the girl of the group said in a whiney voice.

The other, who were boys, showed me their ID’s and sadly proved they were of age to be in the store. I looked at the girl and said, “Without your ID I can’t let you in the store” I was bracing myself for a verbal fight when she groaned and cussed under her breath as she stomped out of the store. Thankful I didn’t have to threaten the police (that’s happened in the past) I turned my attention to the remaining boys, “If I can help you with any--”

“Were you guys, like robbed or something?” He tapped the glass with a wide-eyed look at me.

“Yes, we were” I said coolly.

“Seriously?!” He said in his best high-skater boy voice.

“Yeah…” I said, my patience for them was growing thin. The other boy with him was guffawing to himself.

“What’d they steal? Sex Toys?” He grinned like he’d said a bad word to a teacher and his friend crowed with annoying teenage laughter.

I raised an eyebrow and though, this ladies and gentlemen is why weed is bad for you… “No, they stole cash”……because that’s what real robbers do……precious…I’m sad to say I answered him in a very condescending tone but I really wasn’t in a mood to play with delinquent kids.

His guffawing friend elbowed him, “Duh, man why would they want toys and not cash?” then continued to laugh, because that was his role in this duo, I guess.

“Well….I’d steal the toys, their more fun” He said to cover his wounded ego from his laughing friend. He stole an approving glance from me to see if I found it funny so I smiled a thin smile. They went straight to the ‘tobacco’ section and laughed and talked amongst themselves.

Sadly they bought nothing but at least it was blog worthy of a story, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment